Harness Racing SA Stewards conducted an inquiry into an incident that occurred in the stabling area of Globe Derby Park on October 12th 2019.
Stewards interviewed a number of participants who witnessed the incident along with the individuals directly involved, to establish the circumstances surrounding the verbal altercation which deteriorated into a physical altercation; harness racing participant Mr Darren Hryhorec, licenced trainer Matthew Maguire, Robin Maguire and licenced stable-hand Karen Maguire all were engaged in a heated exchange, in full view of other participants, where their conduct was totally unacceptable.
After considering all the information available to them, including statements provided from race day officials, stewards issued charges pursuant to Australian Harness Racing Rule 231(2) which states “A Person shall not misconduct himself in any way” against Darren Hryhorec, Matthew Maguire, Robin Maguire and Karen Maguire.
After considering submissions on penalty and after having regard for the following relevant factors:
- each individuals plea to the charge issued against them
- their involvement in the harness racing industry and their personal circumstances
- recent penalties applied in South Australia in relation to conduct related matters
- the part each individual played in the altercation
- the seriousness of the offence and the implications for harness racing
- the need to provide a deterrence for this type of behaviour
The Stewards determined that the following penalties should be applied:
- Mr Darren Hryhorec – 18 months warned off any racecourse or place under the control of a club or Controlling Body (9 months suspended for two years).
- Mr Matthew Maguire fined $2,000.00 ($1,250.00 suspended for two years)
- Mr Robin Maguire fined $2,000.00 ($1,250.00 suspended for two years)
- Ms Karen Maguire fined $1,000.00 (fully suspended for two years)
Mr D. Hryhorec, Mr M. Maguire, Mr R. Maguire and Ms K. Maguire were advised of their rights of appeal.
- HRSA Media